Floor Equipment Battery Safety Guidelines
These are general maintenance and safety guidelines. Please consult manufacturer instructions before performing any repairs or maintenance.
Common Battery Tools
- Battery Lifting Strap162-5055$7.00
- Battery Cable998-0010$7.99
- Filler Jug 162-1000 $19.76
- Post Cleaner 993-1163 $3.86
Battery Safety Tips
- Remove all jewelry before servicing batteries.
- Always turn all machine switches off when installing batteries.
- Keep sparks, flame and smoking materials away from batteries. Explosive gases are created while charging batteries.
- Always wear protective safety gear while servicing batteries.
- Make sure all connections are very tight or you run the risk of melting the posts or causing an explosion.
- Remove caps to check water level in every cell. Always reattach caps to batteries. Do not charge with caps loose or removed.
- The water level should be visible and touching the bottom of the opening (illustrated here with the screwdriver).
- Using a funnel, fill every low cell with distilled water.
- If contact with battery acid occurs IMMEDIATELY rinse contact location with water for 15 minutes.
- Charge batteries in a well-ventilated area. NOTE: While batteries are charging they emit highly explosive hydrogen gas.
- Never lay anything on top of batteries as arcing may occur.
- Always connect batteries as shown on the machine installation decal or manufacturer service manual to avoid shorting out the batteries.
- If battery acid is present, sprinkle baking soda on battery acid to neutralize it.
- Always use two people to install the batteries.
Removal and Installation
- Disconnect batteries from machine.
- Remove nut and washer from jumper cables. Note the battery connection pattern for new battery installation.
- Remove all cables.
- Remove batteries one at a time using a battery strap.
- Install new batteries using a battery strap. Use manufacturer connection pattern or install exactly as removed.
- Replace the old battery cables with new cables. Tightly fasten nuts to complete installation.